Last update on 2020-01-28 at 02:20 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Our Top Recommendation
- A fast-paced, award-winning board game
- Connect iconic North American cities and build your train routes to earn points
- Players must compete to grab the best train cards and routes before their opponents
Last update on 2020-01-27 at 19:00 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
What makes a board game great?
Why do certain games become remembered year after year?
Which are some of the best board games of all time?
Here are a few factors that make certain board games really stand out:
- Replay value. The more a game can be enjoyed again and again, the better it will be remembered.
- Age-appropriateness. A game that the whole family can share is always a plus.
- Party or group play. Games are more fun with a group, so games that work will with many players are sure to be longer lasting.
Read on to find out about the top board games of all time.
With Trouble, players move around a board while popping the center plastic bubble to roll the dice. This version of the game includes some extra gameplay options for an upgrade, but can be played traditionally too.
- This top ranked all time board game sets up fast and is easy for kids to play on their own.
- The game is fun and fast-paced, so it’s ideal for little ones.
- The quality of this board game is subpar and extremely disappointing to most customers.
- This top ranked all time board game pieces are easy to lose.
#2: Connect 4
Play against one other person in an attempt to connect a row before your opponent does in Connect 4. This game is quick and easy for kids to play without adult help.
- This all time top ranked board game doesn’t take long to put together and be ready for use.
- The game is easy for younger kids to learn and understand.
- The pieces are flimsy and thin plastic.
- The locking mechanism may break easily.
The classic murder mystery game Clue is a fun time for kids, adults, and teens alike. This game is easy to learn and can be played on teams or individually depending on your needs.
- Clue encourages problem-solving, creative thinking, and paying attention to details.
- This game is engaging and entertaining.
- The product may be low quality.
- Some games may arrive missing crucial pieces.
Move around the board and send competitors back to start in a game of Sorry! This modern take on a classic game is a fun, quick play for the whole family.
- The game is fun for kids and moves quickly.
- This all time top ranked board game pieces are good quality.
- This version doesn’t play like the classic game at all.
- The new addition of cards makes gameplay confusing.
Sequence is a game about linking sequences together to form combinations. The better the combination, the more points the player earns. This all time top ranked board game is about strategy and problem-solving.
- This all time top ranked board game is educational for kids and fun for everyone.
- The materials are good quality.
- Some games may be counterfeit, so shop carefully.
- Some adults find this game very dull.
Blokus is a strategy game that works well for kids and adults both. Players place colored tiles in certain combinations to earn points and block the other players from progressing.
- There are many versions and editions of Blokus to choose from.
- This game is easy to set up.
- The pieces are very small and can be hard to hold and maneuver.
- This all time top ranked board game may be too boring for some.
#7: Guess Who?
Guess Who? is a classic kids’ game with an upgrade. Players can look at their own cards and ask questions back and forth to narrow down the other player’s cards and guess the last one remaining.
- This all time top ranked board game is short and easy for kids to set up and play on their own.
- The game is educational and fun.
- The game’s appearance and quality are poor.
- This all time top ranked board game breaks easily.
Codenames is all about word guessing. Players give one-word clues to other players to try to encourage them to guess the appropriate name or word. This party game can be enjoyed by four players or four teams.
- This is a short game, so it’s great for parties.
- This all time top ranked board game encourages a lot of social interaction.
- This all time top ranked board game is complicated and tough to learn.
- The more people the better, so the game can be boring for small groups.
#9: Candy Land
Candy Land is a true classic for the younger members of the family. This game teaches kids how to take turns and understand the basic principles of board game play from as young as three years of age.
- A round only takes about 15 minutes, so it’s perfect for younger attention spans.
- No reading is required for this game.
- The board has been redesigned to be smaller and more chaotic.
- Sometimes, this game can go on for a very long time and bore kids and adults both.
Every household needs a Monopoly board! This version of the game includes new tokens and a few new rules and methods of gameplay, but it is still the same old Monopoly you remember from childhood.
- This all time top ranked board game is educational and fun at the same time.
- Families can enjoy a round of this game together with no trouble.
- The game pieces of this all time top ranked board game are low-quality and don’t last long.
- The board is thin and can become damaged easily.
Pick up this classic Scrabble game and enjoy fond memories of playing this game in the past. This version of Scrabble includes the basic gameplay and is ready to go right out of the box.
- This all time top ranked board game is easy to set up in just a few short minutes.
- The game can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike.
- This version features plastic pieces that aren’t as classy as the older wooden ones.
- The board of this all time top ranked board game may peel over time.
#12: Axis and Allies
Axis and Allies is a strategy game with a WWII theme. This game is played on a board, and players control armies and compete in power struggles with opponents.
- This all time top ranked board game includes a cooperate mode.
- This version is good for beginners to the game.
- The directions are very confusing with this all time top ranked board game.
- This version doesn’t allow for all the strategic moves that the full, original version does.
#13: Trivial Pursuit
This is the Classic Edition of the well-known question-and-answer game, Trivial Pursuit. This game requires players to move around a board, answering questions for colored “pie pieces” to win.
- This version includes 2400 questions.
- This all time top ranked board game has a retro design.
- Customers are often disappointed by the questions in this game.
- This all time top ranked board game doesn’t come with any boxes for the cards.
Stratego is a strategy game about battle and competition. Two players command their own armies and must work around each other, trying to capture the other side’s flag first for the win.
- Stratego can be played by kids eight and up or by adults.
- This all time top ranked board game is easy to learn, especially for those who know how to play chess.
- This all time top ranked board game is not the original version and is lacking many crucial elements.
- The pieces are poor quality.
#15: The Game of Life
The Game of Life is a fun, simple board game for kids and adults both. Players control a car that moves around the board, and they must respond to prompts on the board’s spaces to progress throughout “life.”
- This all time top ranked board game is easy for the whole family to play together.
- A round only takes about a half an hour.
- The spinner isn’t made well and doesn’t spin easily.
- The newer version of this all time top ranked board game isn’t very challenging.
Qwirkle is a strategy game for children. With this game, kids learn to think logically and solve puzzles as they move their tiles around, trying to form straight lines and expand their combinations.
- The tiles that come with this game are durable and made of wood.
- This all time top ranked board game is as educational as it is fun.
- It can be tough to keep score in this all time top ranked board game.
- The paint may wear off quickly.
This updated version of Risk has received improvements to make gameplay a little faster. This game is all about managing your armies and making strategic decisions to help you win against your opponents.
- This all time top ranked board game can be played with just two players or up to five.
- The game includes 12 secret missions for more unique gameplay.
- This all time top ranked board game has been known to arrive missing dice.
- The board may be too confusing and busy for some customers.
Battleship is a quality go-to kids’ game that adults can enjoy playing as well. This game features a two-sided board where players place their battleships as they try to guess where the other player’s ships are hidden. The first to sink the other’s battleships wins.
- This is the electronic version of the game that lights up and makes sounds.
- This all time top ranked board game features a few new elements without departing from the classic gameplay.
- Setup takes a while and younger kids can’t set up this all time top ranked board game without help.
- The pegs may fall out of the board easily.
When you want one of the most classic of all board games, look no further than this beautiful chess set. It’s never too early to start teaching little ones how to play chess, and this is a perfect two-person game for couples and friends, too.
- This large chess set is made of wood and beautifully finished.
- The board folds into itself for easy storage.
- The board doesn’t sit quite flat enough in some instances.
- The wood may arrive a little splintered.
In Carcassonne, players build a board and make decisions about their world, including who to do business with and what to focus on in the development of communities. This is a point-collecting game with more in-depth play than it may seem.
- This all time top ranked board game is easy to learn in a short amount of time.
- Kids and adults both can get in on playing this game.
- This all time top ranked board game may get boring to those who play it over and over again.
- The scoring can be complicated and confusing.
Gather a group of teammates and figure out the mystery—and cure—of a disease that has broken out worldwide. This game can be played by two to four people or by teams and takes about an hour to complete.
- This all time top ranked board game is a story-based game with a lot of replay value.
- The game has recently been updated and improved.
- This all time top ranked board game may arrive damaged in some instances.
- The game may be too challenging for some younger family members.
#22: Ticket to Ride
Ticket to Ride is a train-themed game that requires players to travel as many routes as possible while collecting more points than their competitors. This is a colorful and family-friendly game that is extremely popular.
- This game can easily be played and enjoyed with just two people if necessary.
- The pieces and board are high-quality.
- The product may arrive damaged or missing pieces.
- Some customers have received counterfeit products, and this is in fact a big issue with this particular game.
Catan is one of the greatest board games ever made, and it has even been given the title “Game of the Century.” With this all time top ranked board game, players can develop their lands and barter with other players, all in the name of coming out ahead in the end.
- Gameplay is a little different every time you play through Catan, making it well worth replaying.
- There are many expansions available to change the game experience.
- The quality of the game board may be lacking.
- The game’s pieces may arrive damaged.
Can new editions help the best board games ever remain popular? How about collector’s versions? Most of the time, players want to play the original version of a game and aren’t interested in remakes and upgrades. However, some diehard fans of games want to buy collector’s editions and expansion packs so they can have new experiences again and again. The best way for a company to ensure a game remains relevant is to keep selling the classic while also offering new and updated versions for the fans.