Our Top Recommendation
- Splendor is a game of chip-collecting and card development. Players are merchants trying to buy gem mines, means of...
- Recommended age 10 and up
- Number of Players: 2 to 4
What kind of games and activities do 10-year-olds usually like?
Do they tend to go for board games?
Is this something a child of this age can learn to enjoy?
Most of the time, 10-year-olds are more likely to want to play video games than board games. But the right board game can make a huge difference in your child’s playtime, especially if you encourage this type of play or join in as well.
Having a family game night is another great way to teach your child that board games are just as exciting and fun as electronics and video games. With a little planning and effort, your 10-year-old is sure to learn to enjoy board game night more than you may have ever thought possible.
Read on to find some great board games 10 year old kids are sure to love.
Parcheesi is a classic game that many families have enjoyed together for decades. This version plays just like classic Parcheesi and includes colorful game pieces that will encourage kids to join in the fun.
- The game pieces are durable plastic.
- This must-have best kids board game encourages strategic thinking and friendly competition.
- The game pieces and board may be too small for some players.
- The dice tend to get stuck in the shaker.
#2: Pay Day
Pay Day is a little bit like a simplified Monopoly. Players must reach the end of the game board with the most money to win. This must-have best kids board game teaches basic concepts of loans and savings as well as counting, addition, and subtraction.
- This must-have best kids board game is ideal for ages 8 and up and for 2 to 4 players.
- This is a fast-paced game that won’t get boring for kids or adults.
- The game may be too easy for some players.
- This is not like the original version of the game.
#3: Codenames: Pictures
Codenames: Pictures is a fun party game that many kids will want to join in on as well. This must-have best kids board game is about word association and uses pictures to help encourage kids to think creatively and quickly when it’s their team’s turn.
- This game is both cooperative and competitive when played with teams.
- This must-have board game is great for 8 or more players in a large group.
- This must-have best kids board game is meant for ages 14 and up and may be too mature for 10-year-olds.
- The pictures are abstract and can be confusing.
Playing Santorini is all about building a stack of blocks to reach the top of the “world” before other players can. Each player can also make one “god move” per game, changing things up in their favor just when things start to look a little bleak.
- The board and game pieces are durable and sturdy.
- This must-have best kids board game involves no chance and only strategy-based moves.
- The theme can be a little confusing or get lost in the gameplay.
- Some players may take a long time to take their turns.
Azul is a tile placement game that teaches kids strategic thinking and quick problem-solving skills. This game is short and can be enjoyed quickly or in several rounds for a longer-lasting game night.
- This must-have best kids board game is good for ages 8 and up and 2 to 4 players.
- The pieces are good quality and enticing to look at.
- This best kids board game may arrive damaged or missing pieces.
- The instructions can be tricky to understand the first few times.
#6: Tsuro: The Game of the Path
Tsuro: The Game of the Path is a little bit different each time it’s played. Players must work to stay on their own path without getting mixed up or knocked back by other players or game mechanics.
- The game only takes about 20 minutes to play, so it’s great for quick family game nights.
- This must-have best kids board game can be enjoyed by several players and is a fun party experience too.
- The pieces may slide around too much for this game to be enjoyable.
- The game may be too dull for adults and older kids.
#7: Hacker: Cybersecurity Logic Game
Hacker: Cybersecurity Logic Game teaches the basics of programming through an educational and fun gaming experience. This must-have best kids board game includes several challenges kids can work through to build their problem-solving skills and learn to understand a little bit more about the world of programming with each new puzzle.
- The game includes 120 different challenges so gameplay never has to get boring and dull, no matter how many times you and your kids work through this game.
- Kids enjoy the theme of “hacking” in this must-have best kids board game.
- This kids board game is better for a single player and may not be a fun group activity.
- The instructions are complicated and tough to figure out.
#8: Century Spice Road
Century Spice Road is a game about resource management, planning, and strategic thinking. Players use cards and token pieces to plan and make changes to their own experience as well as sabotage and interrupt other players before they can complete this must-have best kids board game.
- The quality of the game pieces is very high-quality and much more durable than many other similar games on the market.
- Games move fast enough to keep younger kids interested.
- This game plays a little bit too much like Splendor for some customers.
- This must-have best kids board game can be a little confusing to figure out at first.
LaserMaze is a problem-solving game that is sure to keep kids thinking on their feet. This must-have best kids board game involves building a maze in such a way that the laser light will bounce from piece to piece and make it to the end. Constructing the maze is a little different each time, so there is some replay value for kids with this game.
- There are 60 challenges included in the game to help kids stay interested in playing it.
- This must-have best kids board game is challenging enough that adults will enjoy playing it too.
- The quality of the pieces is fairly poor.
- Some parents are concerned about the laser component of this game.
Splendor is a game based around cards, tokens, and collecting. This must-have best kids board game is educational as well as fun and can encourage kids to learn problem-solving, strategic thinking, and organization skills. This is a resource management game that encourages creative play and unique thinking.
- This must-have best kids board game can be easily modified to simplify the rules or make it more challenging.
- The tokens included are higher quality plastic.
- The game’s theme can be tricky to follow, especially for new players.
- This must-have board game takes a while to complete and may be boring for younger members of the family.
#11: Small World
Small World is a strategy game that is all about taking control of different parts of the fantasy world in which this must-have best kids board game takes place. Players can sabotage each other or form alliances to work through this experience, making the gameplay a little bit different every time.
- This game takes about an hour to finish, so it’s a good choice for a lengthy family game night or for a vacation or camping trip.
- This must-have best kids board game is easy for two players to play alone.
- The strategy may be too simple for some players.
- The gameplay may be a little too dull for more involved board game fans.
#12: Trekking the National Parks
Trekking the National Parks plays a little bit like Ticket to Ride, with some changes. This must-have best kids board game encourages players to move through the national parks of the United States and learn a little something about each of them as they progress through the experience. Visiting more parks than other players can help earn the win.
- This must-have best kids board game features colorful pieces and a board that’s easy to interact with.
- This is an educational game that is also a lot of fun for the whole family.
- The game doesn’t involve as much information about the parks as some customers would like.
- The product may arrive missing pieces.
#13: King of Tokyo
King of Tokyo is a fast strategy game based around cards and figures. It was made by the creator of Magic: The Gathering, although it’s much more simplified and easier to understand than Magic. This must-have best kids board game is exciting for kids and great for ages eight and up.
- This must-have best kids board game can be played by two to four players.
- The game takes about 30 minutes to finish a round, so kids won’t get bored and adults won’t find it too redundant to enjoy.
- The quick gameplay may be too fast for some players.
- The game relies heavily on chance and therefore doesn’t encourage as much thinking.
How do you know which of these games is best for your child? Here are a few useful tips to help you pick the right board games for your 10-year-old:
- Pick a game that challenges your child without being too impossible or too easy and boring.
- Pick a game that teaches skills such as logical and strategic thinking, teamwork, and more.
- Pick a game with a theme that your child will be interested in.
In the end, you know your child best. Take time to consider what your little one might enjoy and what skills your child may need to work on improving. Finding the right must-have best kids board game may take a little trial and error, but you’re sure to locate the perfect one for your 10-year-old in no time.
Last update on 2020-05-27 at 21:19 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.