Last update on 2019-12-15 at 07:51 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Our Top Recommendation
- Blokus Deluxe is the classic strategy game you know, on a larger board! This exclusive item is only available on...
- Players take turns placing pieces of their chosen color on the board
- Each new piece must touch at least one other piece of the same color-but only at the corners!
Last update on 2019-12-15 at 14:59 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
How can you pick a great game for a six-year-old?
What are some of the factors you should consider in board games for this age?
Do kids this age like to play board games?
Here are a few features to be on the lookout for:
- Easy rules that make sense. Nobody wants to play a confusing game or one that’s too tough to follow!
- Short play time. Kids this age will enjoy quick games that can be played in rounds rather than one lengthy session.
- Colorful boards and exciting characters. The more enticing the board and pieces, the more enjoyable the game for a child this age.
Six-year-olds tend to enjoy board games, so it’s all about picking the right one for your child. In this article, we’ll show you 13 of our favorite board game picks for this age range so you don’t have to wonder which ones to choose from.
Read on to find some of the best board games for 6 year olds around.
#1: Googly Eyes
In Googly Eyes, players put on a pair of glasses that make vision difficult and must then try to draw a picture. Their teammates have to guess what they’re drawing before time runs out, or the other team will win.
- This happy 6 year old kids family board game is a lot of laughs for the whole family.
- The game plays quickly but is enticing to younger kids especially.
- The glasses may break easily.
- The glasses may make some people dizzy or feel motion sickness while wearing them.
#2: Lumpy Cubes
Lumpy Cubes is a game of matching, counting, and quick thinking. This happy 6 year old kids family board game was created by a math teacher, so it’s educational while still remaining fun and easy for younger kids to play and enjoy.
- This is a quick game that holds younger kids’ attention easily.
- This happy 6 year old kids family board game is colorful, vibrant, and easy to follow.
- The game may be boring for older kids.
- The product is cheaply made with thin plastic that will break easily.
Operation is a classic board game that many parents remember from their own childhoods. This happy 6 year old kids family board game involves using tweezers to carefully remove specific objects from the patient’s “body” on the game board. If the tweezers touch the sides of the game, the player is buzzed.
- This game is ideal for improving motor skills and quick reflexes.
- This happy 6 year old kids family board game is fun and quick for younger kids to enjoy.
- The game is very cheaply made compared to the original and may fall apart after just a few plays.
- This kids family board game may arrive missing several of the key pieces needed for play.
Teach your kids the basics of Monopoly with Monopoly Junior. This simple version of the classic game helps educate kids on problem-solving, decision-making, and counting as they progress through the shortened game board.
- This happy 6 year old kids family board game comes with durable plastic pieces that kids will enjoy playing with.
- This game is great for ages five and up.
- The cardboard pieces may break easily.
- This kids family board game may be too short for adults and older kids to enjoy.
#5: Scrabble Junior
Scrabble Junior is a great way to teach kids the basics of spelling through a simplified version of classic Scrabble. This happy 6 year old kids family board game features colorful plastic pieces and a quick gameplay that little ones will enjoy time and time again.
- The game board can be flipped over for an easier or more challenging game as your child gets older.
- This happy 6 year old kids family board game is educational and fun at the same time.
- The quality of the game is poor and pieces may break easily.
- Some younger kids may find this game boring.
#6: The Game of Life Junior
The Game of Life Junior is a simplified version of The Game of Life that will teach kids how to take turns and practice counting and problem-solving skills at the same time. This happy 6 year old kids family board game features bigger pieces than the original and more kid-friendly experiences and outcomes on the game board.
- This game is very easy to set up and only takes a short amount of time to play through a round.
- The game is great for ages five and up and for two to four players.
- This 6 year olds family board game doesn’t play much at all like the classic Game of Life, which is disappointing to some customers.
- The action cards can be confusing.
7: Race to the Treasure!
Race to the Treasure! is a 6 year old kids family board game about teamwork and cooperation. This game involves kids working together to reach the goal and defeat the ogre at the end of the board.
- This happy 6 year old kids family board game encourages strategic thinking and problem-solving as kids must think about their next move as well as their current move.
- The game pieces are durable and sturdy.
- It’s easy to learn how to win this game and therefore the challenge can dwindle quickly.
- This happy 6 year old kids family board game doesn’t have a lot of variety in replaying.
#8: Sequence for Kids
Sequence of Kids is a simpler version of the classic Sequence game that is a little more kid-friendly overall. Kids must make chains of four chips in a row to win the round, and the colorful characters and animals printed on the pieces encourage them to play again and again.
- This is a fast-paced strategy game that kids will enjoy while learning logical thinking and counting skills.
- This happy 6 year old kids family board game is great for ages 3 to 6 and for 2 to 4 players.
- Older kids may find this game too simple and boring to play.
- Many customers dislike the excess plastic packaging used in this product.
9: The Ladybug Game
The Ladybug Game is easy to play by moving pieces on a board the required number of spaces. This happy 6 year old kids family board game is similar to Candy Land in the way it plays and features simple rules and quick rounds.
- This happy 6 year old kids family board game is colorful and friendly for younger kids.
- This game is great for ages 3 and up, so younger siblings can join in.
- Sometimes, the game can take much too long.
- The game is a bit boring to some kids.
#10: Off the Grid
Off the Grid is a game that’s played a unique way—with flashlights! This happy 6 year old kids family board game requires players to turn off the lights and remove electronics from the play area, encouraging human interaction and creativity at game time.
- This game can be played easily for hours and doesn’t require any complicated rules or electronic add-ons.
- This game is ideal for camping or times when the power goes out.
- Many included activities require additional craft items to complete.
- This 6 year old kids family board game may have too much packaging for some customers.
#11: Mouse Trap
Mouse Trap is a classic Rube Goldberg machine style board game. Kids must build the “trap” and then try to get it to fall on the mouse in order to win. This happy 6 year old kids family board game involves both competition and teamwork.
- This happy 6 year old kids family board game moves fast and is fun and exciting for little ones.
- The game is ideal for ages 6 and up and for 2 to 4 players.
- The game is very frustrating and often doesn’t work the way it’s supposed to.
- Kids may get bored with this game fast.
#12: Richard Scarry’s Busytown Eye Found It
The Richard Scarry’s Busytown Eye Found It game is a simple but very exciting game for younger players. The game is played cooperatively and involves a detailed Busytown map that kids will want to look at again and again.
- This colorful game is a little different each time it’s played.
- This game is designed with preschoolers and kindergarteners in mind, so it’s educational and encouraging.
- Older kids may memorize the board quickly.
- Kids may not play cooperatively as often as they’re supposed to.
Blokus is a strategy 6 year old kids family board game that involves placing colored tiles on the game board. There are specific rules about how the tiles can be placed, and at the end of the game, the player with the most colored tiles on the board is the winner.
- This game is easy for kids to learn how to play and fun for adults to join in.
- This happy 6 year old kids family board game moves fast and is great for young attention spans.
- The pieces are small and may be lost easily.
- The packaging is challenging to open and wasteful.
Did you find a great game for your six-year old? How can you encourage kids to play these games instead of going for electronics all the time instead? Is it reasonable to think they will?
Most kids this age will be happy to play board games if the whole family seems interested in them. Encouraging your kids to understand how much fun it can be to win or to work together can also help your child choose board games and family game night over video games more often than you might expect.
Pick one of these age-appropriate board games to increase your chances, too!