Last update on 2020-01-28 at 08:40 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Our Top Recommendation
- Play a card from your hand, and place a chip on a corresponding space on the game board - when you have five in a...
- Each player or team tries to score the required number of five-card sequences before their opponents.
- Exciting gameplay develops STEM skills like Strategy
Last update on 2020-01-28 at 13:09 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Why are board games perfect activities for families?
Can this type of interaction help improve family bonds?
Are there other benefits too?
Board games are a great way for families to bond and have fun together by sharing the same experience. Setting aside a family game night at least once or twice a month can offer your family the chance to get together and connect in a fast-paced world that doesn’t often allow for that.
Of course, there are other great benefits to playing board games together, too. This activity can help improve the mood of everyone in the family, and it can also help teach your children many important skills. Kids can learn to take turns and share, to be a good sport, and even to read, count, and more, depending on the game you choose.
There are many great reasons why you might want to consider playing board games with your family. If you think this activity might be right for you, you’re in luck. We’ve put together a list of our favorite family board games below for you to choose from.
Take your time and find the game or games that look like they’d appeal to your family. With the right choice in mind, you’re sure to have plenty of fun time and time again.
Check out our favorite board games for families below.
#1: Googly Eyes
Googly Eyes is a silly family board game for kids & adults sure to make everyone laugh. Players don a pair of glasses that make it hard to see and then must draw pictures corresponding to words their teammates have to guess.
- This game is quick and fast-paced.
- This family board game for kids & adults is easy to understand and pick up.
- The glasses may easily.
- The glasses may cause motion sickness.
2: Pictopia Disney Edition
In Pictopia Disney Edition, players are shown pictures and must give and receive clues to guess what the picture is showing. This version of the family board game for kids & adults features all your favorite Disney characters.
- This family board game for kids & adults includes a free app.
- The Disney edition features films all the way up through Frozen.
- The game may be too hard for some kids to learn or play on their own.
- The rounds may get repetitive quickly.
3: World of Disney Eye Found It
If your kids are younger and enjoy look-and-find style game, World of Disney Eye Found It is sure to be a hit. This family board game for kids & adults asks players to find specific items and place their tokens on the items when discovered.
- This family board game for kids & adults is great for ages four and up.
- This version of Eye Found It includes Disney characters at every turn.
- The items may be too hard for some kids to find.
- The game board isn’t very durable and may be broken easily.
4: Trivial Pursuit Family Edition
Trivial Pursuit Family Edition is a different variation on the classic Trivial Pursuit game. This version of the family board game for kids & adults includes questions that are meant for kids as well as separate questions for adults.
- This game can be enjoyed by two or more players and by ages eight and up.
- This family board game for kids & adults plays more quickly than traditional Trivial Pursuit.
- The questions for kids are not varied.
- The questions may be too easy for teenagers.
Labyrinth is all about finding the quickest route through the maze. Each player must grab treasures and then escape, hopefully before everyone else does.
- This family board game for kids & adults is for ages 7 and up.
- The game teaches cause and effect as well as planning.
- This family board game for kids & adults can be very complicated.
- The puzzles are confusing to some players.
#6: Double Ditto
In Double Ditto, players are shown a clue card. They must write down two answers they believe other players will say, and then see if they have a match.
- This is a quick, easy game to learn.
- The game is ideal for parties with kids involved.
- The cards can get boring quickly.
- This family board game for kids & adults is very repetitive.
#7: Castle Panic
Castle Panic is a cooperative game that includes some competition as well. This family board game for kids & adults is good to use for teaching kids to play more complicated strategy games like Catan.
- This family board game for kids & adults can be played solo.
- The game takes about an hour to finish.
- There’s no real tension or challenge for many players.
- This family board game for kids & adults is very easy for adults.
#8: Brain Freeze
Kids learn strategic thinking and problem-solving with Brain Freeze. This family board game for kids & adults involves asking questions to narrow down options and discover the secret card first.
- This game is easy for kids to learn.
- This family board game for kids & adults is great for just two players.
- Kids may have trouble playing without adult help.
- The pictures can be confusing for younger kids.
Sequence teaches kids to build combinations and make quick decisions when their plans change. This family board game for kids & adults is as challenging for kids as it is for adults.
- Families will enjoy the strategy of this game together.
- This family board game for kids & adults can be played on teams.
- The game may arrive damaged or misprinted.
- The instructions can be confusing.
#10: Tall Tales
Tall Tales is a game of storytelling with no competition involved. This family board game for kids & adults encourages creative thinking and quick decisions, and it comes with several miniatures to help your kids think about their stories.
- This game has won awards for its innovative design.
- This family board game for kids & adults is easy for everyone to learn.
- Older kids and teens may be bored with this game.
- The pieces are poor quality.
In Spontuneous, players must sing lines from songs that correspond to key words. The player who can come up with the most songs is the winner.
- This is a quick and fun game that’s great for parties.
- This family board game for kids & adults can be enjoyed by all ages as long as everyone knows some songs.
- This family board game for kids & adults requires players to choose their own keywords, which can be tricky and time-consuming.
- The game’s instructions are a little unclear.
#12: Spy Alley
In Spy Alley, players must determine who among them are spies and who are friends. This family board game for kids & adults moves quickly but functions like a longer, slower-paced mystery game.
- The pace of this game is ideal for kids.
- This family board game for kids & adults can be enjoyed by two to six players.
- Play may get redundant fast.
- Teens and adults may not have as much fun as kids.
Latice involves laying down tiles in certain orders and being the first to run out of tiles. Although play is simple, there is a lot of strategy and critical thinking involved in success.
- This family board game for kids & adults features colorful tiles that encourage kids to want to play.
- Kids and adults both will feel challenged by this game.
- This family board game for kids & adults is extremely expensive.
- The product may arrive missing pieces.
Now that you’ve had a chance to check out some of the better family games on the market today, you may be wondering how to choose the right one. Your family’s needs may be different from others, so keep this in mind as you move forward and narrow down your choices.
Here are some of the best characteristics of the perfect family board game for kids & adults:
- Playable and fun for all ages: Everyone in the family should be able to play the game and enjoy themselves while doing so (even if adults may find it a little easy).
- Easy to understand and learn how to play: The game should be simple enough to understand that kids won’t get frustrated as they learn it.
- Challenging but not impossible: Challenges are important for children, but the game shouldn’t be so hard to play that it frustrates your kids and makes them stop playing.
- Not too long or too short: The right length is crucial. Choose a game that runs about 30 minutes to begin with, and determine from there if you want to go longer or shorter.
- Appropriate content and material: Included topics should always be kid-friendly.
Remember, too, that family board games should have a high replay value, since you may be playing them over and over again. You can cut down on this issue, however, by choosing three or four to start your family off with and rotating between these games on family game night to keep things fresh and encourage variety.