Our Top Recommendation
- Play Smart Ass, the game where it's OK to yell out the answer, even when it's not your turn
- Be the first to answer the Who, What, and Where Am I questions, and move closer to being the ultimate Smart Ass
- A fast-paced party game for 2 - 6 players, ages 12 and up
#1: Smart Ass
Smart Ass is a game designed for ages 12 and up, so preteens and teens alike will have fun with this one. It encourages players to yell out the answer before anyone else can when reading a question off of a card. The player who knows more answers is sure to be the winner.
- This teenagers board game is great for two to six players and is ideal for party situations where players can get loud.
- The game includes hundreds of question cards so it won’t get boring too fast.
- Adults find this teenagers board game a little too boring.
- The questions may be too hard for kids.
For a great classic game adults and teens will enjoy together, try Taboo. This game is all about getting the other people on your team to guess a word without saying any of the words on the clue card. If you accidentally say one of the words, the opposite team gets to honk a noisy buzzer and steal the turn. This party game is best for large groups with teams.
- This teenagers board game includes over a thousand words to guess.
- The game is very simple to play.
- This teenagers board game may arrive in poor condition.
- The buzzer may be weak in some games.
#3: Game for Fame
Game for Fame involves splitting into teams and drawing a challenge card for each team to complete, usually within a one-minute timer. The challenges are usually silly and may take a little strategy and planning to achieve, which is difficult with just a minute to spare.
- This teenagers board game is fun for younger kids in the family too, as long as they can read and follow the directions on the cards.
- This is a noisy and busy party game that’s great for teen friends.
- This teenagers board game may be a little too hard for some kids and teens.
- Many of the challenges are not appropriate for younger kids in terms of content.
#4: Phone Phever
Phone Phever is designed for teens from 13 and up and can be played with three or more players, so it doesn’t require a big group like some of the other games on this list. The game is played along with a smartphone but doesn’t require an app, so you can use it with any smartphone or smart device.
- This teenagers board game includes a lot of question cards to keep it fresh.
- This is a fast-paced game that’s fun at parties but easy enough to play on game night.
- Some parents may be concerned about the content of some of the questions.
- This teenagers board game may arrive missing some of the pieces.
#5: Tiki Topple
Tiki Topple is a good game for slightly younger teens or for a group family game night. It doesn’t take long to set up and one round can be completed in about 20-30 minutes. This game is great for two to four players, so it doesn’t require a huge group.
- The quality of the pieces is higher than some of the other games on our list.
- This teenagers board game doesn’t take very long to learn.
- This teenagers board game may arrive used or damaged.
- The game may be too easy for older teens.
Quelf is a game that plays a bit like truth or dare and can be played with three to eight players or with teams. This game specifies that it’s for adults, so it’s better for older teens or those who are a little more mature in terms of content.
- This teenagers board game is easy to learn how to play and is a hit at parties.
- The game can be enjoyed by preteens as well with a little monitoring from parents for card content.
- This teenagers board game may arrive damaged or missing pieces.
- The product may be a little boring to some adults.
#7: Last Night on Earth
Last Night on Earth is a zombie-themed board game that’s designed for two to six players and can be enjoyed by ages 12 and up. Since the content of the game is a little on the scary side, parents may want to ensure their kids are capable of handling it before buying this game.
- This teenagers board game include five different scenarios and expansions packs are available for additional purchase.
- This teenagers board game comes with unique game pieces.
- The game may be too easy for those on the “hero” side, since the “zombie” side is underpowered.
- The rules are very complicated for this teenagers board game.
As you can see, there are a lot of board games out there designed to cater to teens. Some of these games may rely more on crass humor than others, so it might be a good idea to consider the game yourself before you buy it for your teenager. However, with a little planning and foresight, you should be able to find a game that works well for your family regardless of your teenager’s style, preferences, and sense of humor.
But are these good bonding activities for families as well as groups of teen friends? Or are they really just fun for the teens themselves? Many of these games are challenging enough to teens that they will want to try to win again and again. These games are also fun enough for adults to get in on playing, too. If you’re looking for a product that can help encourage you and your teenager to share a family game night together, any of the games listed above are a great place to start. Keep in mind, however, that if you have younger kids joining in, you may need to tweak the rules for the little ones to be able to have fun too.
It may take a little time to find the right board game for your teenager. Letting your teen be involved in choosing is a good way to make sure you’re getting something that won’t just sit on a shelf collecting dust. However, if you’re trying to choose for a gift-giving holiday, pick something you know will challenge and inspire without coming across as too cheesy or educational. This way, your teen will be more likely to want to play over and over again.
Last update on 2020-08-10 at 10:49 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.